Sunday, November 11, 2007

Phone Conversations...obsolete.


It would seem to me that phone conversations will be an obsolete form of communication along side of our prehistoric friends! The 'texting' phenomenon has surpassed the humann voice; being a gal in her 30's I thought that this form of non-verbal communication only plague pre-teens and teenagers but I too am guilty of the text craze. I do believe that there is an appropriate opportunity to text and with whom one should text; however, a text should be a supplement to a conversation and not in lieu of speaking to someone directly.
The text that takes the place of verbal communication is what I find problematic on a multitude of levels; texting has eliminated the emotive state of both persons (emoicons :( is not an accurate substitute), texting has weaken peoples ability to spell correctly, punctuate and speak or write in complete sentences! Texting is such an ambigious way to communicate and really an ineffective tool to get your point across and ironically more time consuming.
If we continue on the downward path of non-verbal communication I fear that human interaction will soon follow suit...this is definately a symptom of our capitalistic technology driven society but to be fair there are many and I will address those for another blog entry.
As I stated at the beginning of this blog I too am an offender of sending texts (and I am not known for the brevity of my texts) but in light of my awareness and re-evaluation I will only use texts for communicating a quick piece of information and never to use as a tool for conversation. I want to hear the tone in your voice and the inflection in your words!

3 comments:

Pickle said...

yes you are correct auntie. soon we will no longer have to be in the same place to be on a date or hanging out with friends will take on a new meaning. its just funny how you can type in ;( instead of talking about how you are sad. what is this world coming to? it scares me.

Kim Thomas said...

I am an addicted texter....and I am an addicted talker. If you do both equally you should be ok, right?

Kim Thomas said...

P.S. What is P.F.L.A.G. ? All I can think of is PFLAG from Reality Bites.